- 8% of children under the age of 18 in the US have food allergies
- That converts to about 6 million children
- 40% of those children have severe reactions
- 30% of the children have multiple food allergies
- Most common allergen is peanut followed by milk and shellfish
I have mixed emotions about this study. Part of me is relieved to know that we are not the only ones dealing with these issues. The more people who have these issues mean that there will be more “supply and demand” for allergy-friendly food at restaurants.
However, I am grieved that so many children and their parents are suffering and frustrated that there is so little known about the cause. I am also grateful that my child has only had mild reactions. I cannot imagine living with the constant fear of an anaphylactic reaction.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. How do you feel about these new numbers?
Photo Credit: Bruce Tuten