I’m so excited to be hosting our first giveaway! Tropical Traditions asked me to pick a product from their line to review and giveaway. I knew immediately I wanted to give away palm shortening. Why? Because I use Tropical Traditions Palm Shortening almost everyday.
When I first began my journey into real food, I had a hard time finding a local source for all the goodies I had read about. Eventually I joined a local buying club. I sheepishly walked in and stared at the wall of fats. There was expeller pressed coconut oil, virgin coconut oil, virgin olive oil, palm shortening and ghee. The club leader suggested new members start off with palm shortening. I took his advice and I am so glad I did.
Here’s why I love Palm Shortening:
- It’s not hydrogenized and it’s trans fat free.
- It’s tasteless and colorless. This makes it extremely versatile.
- It’s affordable. One gallon of Tropical Traditions Palm Shortening retails for $30.65. Compare that to expeller pressed coconut oil (the lowest grade TT carries) at $44 and the savings is obvious.
- It’s shelf stable. Palm shortening is a solid and melts at 97 degrees F. It is a great substitute for vegetable shortening (Crisco).
- It’s not prone to rancidity. It is safe to use at high temperatures. I do all my frying in palm shortening.
I really cannot think of a recipe that palm shortening wouldn’t work well in. If you are looking for extra inspiration Tropical Traditions has a large database of free recipes here.
The good news is you don’t have to find a local buying club to buy your palm shortening. You can order yours here. While you’re at it pick up some lip balm currently buy one get one free. New customers who order through these links will receive a free copy of Our Virgin Coconut Oil Book including gluten-free recipes.
Are you ready to win some palm shortening?
You may enter up to 4 times. Leave a separate comment for each of the following:
- Leave a comment letting me know you want to win.
- Subscribe to Tropical Traditions email Sales Newsletter, follow @Troptraditions on Twitter or follow them on Facebook.
- Subscribe to Real Food, Allergy Free email updates, follow @RealAllergyFree on Twitter or follow us on Facebook. If you already subscribe or follow us leave a comment.
- Tweet “Win a gallon of @Troptraditions Palm Shortening @RealAllergyFree http://www.realfoodallergyfree.com/?p=3005“or click the “like” button on the top of this post to share this giveaway on Facebook.
This giveaway will end on Sunday, August 28 at 10:00 PM EST. The winner will be selected by random.org and will have 7 days to respond or a new winner will be chosen. Open to residents of the USA.
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. All opinions are my own.