Cool weather got you looking for comfort food? Chunky beef stew with carrots and onions served on top of mashed potatoes is sure to satisfy. Throw the ingredients in the crockpot and go about your business for the day. When you are ready to eat, whip up your favorite mashed potatoes and enjoy this hearty meal.
- 2 lbs Stew Meat
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- Carrots (I used 1/2 bag of frozen carrots but fresh would be even better.)
- 14.5 oz Stewed Tomatoes (I used Hunts Fire Roasted)
- 4-6 shakes of Worcestershire Sauce (Read labels-may contain anchovies, wheat or soy! Allergy-free recipe here. FYI:treacle=molasses)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced or 1/2 tsp rounded Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- ~1 tsp Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- Dump all ingredients except arrowroot or cornstarch into the crockpot and stir.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Uncover crock and stir in arrowroot or cornstarch and turn heat to high to thicken sauce.
- Serve on top of your favorite mashed potatoes.
Recipe adapted from Full Bellies Make Happy Kids.