This is our go-to beans and rice recipe. Gallo Pinto is a common dish served in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. The Worcestershire sauce and ginger give this beans and rice dish a unique smokey flavor. The Costa Ricans are known to serve Gallo Pinto aside eggs or meat. We typically enjoy it as a main dish. My kids like to garnish their Gallo Pinto with cheese and sour cream.
Gallo Pinto Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Palm Shortening or oil of choice
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 cups Rice, cooked
- 2 cups Black Beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce (Allergy-free recipe here. FYI:treacle=molasses)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute just until soft.
- Add garlic and saute until onions are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro.
You may also enjoy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas with Mole Sauce and Skillet Meal: Pizza Rice!