I always make homemade stock after I cook a whole chicken. It just seems so wasteful to throw away all those nutrients! Plus, it gives me one more day before I have to wash my crockpot!
Typically I use the stock as a base for soup or as the liquid for cooking rice or quinoa. Finding uses for slightly sweet stock is a bit more challenging. This is how I used stock and meat from leftover Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken. I imagine stock and chicken from Orange, Honey and Cumin Roasted Chicken would also work well in this recipe.
I didn’t have enough leftover meat to serve my family, so I covered a few frozen chicken breasts and baked them in the oven for 20 minutes. After they cooled, I cut them up into bite size pieces and added them to the “bourbon” sauce. The results were fantastic! The kids loved it. The only thing leftover from tonight’s dinner is broccoli!
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this recipe and check out other ways I cook chicken and turn the leftovers into something else wonderful!
Apricot Bourbon Chicken
- 1 cup stock from Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- 1/3 cup sucanat (or brown or white sugar if you must)
- 1/4 cup Tamari Sauce (contains soy, try coconut aminos if you are sensitive to soy)
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp Ginger
- ~2 pounds Chicken, cooked
- Rice, cooked in stock from Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Make sure rice and chicken are cooked. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium size sauce pan. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken pieces to sauce pan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or so.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
Other ways to transform leftovers into something wonderful:
- Mojo Chicken in the CrockPot
- Mojo Chicken Soup using leftover Mojo Chicken
- Asian Chicken Marinade Recipe
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup using leftover Asian Chicken
- Asian Chicken Salad using leftover Asian Chicken
- Asian Chicken Stir Fry using leftover Asian Chicken
- Ginger-Lime Marinade for Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Fajitas using leftover Ginger-Lime Chicken