Over the weekend, it went from spring to fall here! The warm sunshine has been replaced by cold rain. Many of us in this household have had the sniffles. It was time for soup. The leftover Asian Chicken
in the fridge inspired me to make this soup. Let me tell you, it was really
It’s nothing like traditional chicken noodle soup. The tamari, lime and ginger in the broth is amazing. The cilantro adds something unexpected although I suspect if you’re not a cilantro fan the soup would be good without it. The ingredient list looks long, but I assure you this is a very simple soup to throw together. If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, just cook the chopped chicken with the oil and garlic until the chicken is done and follow the rest of the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp Palm Shortening or oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 8 cups of Chicken Stock/Broth (I actually used 7 cups homemade stock and 1 cup water)
- 1/4 cup Tamari Sauce (Soy-free recipes here and here)
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Sucanat or Brown Sugar
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (I’m a wimp. I used 1/8 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds Asian Chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (I’m sure unseasoned chicken would be fine.)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Angel Hair Pasta, cooked (I used spaghetti!)
It might be fun to add:
- Red Bell Pepper
- Sugar Snap Peas instead of Frozen Peas
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook a couple minutes.
2. Add broth, tamari sauce, lime juice, sucanat, ginger, red pepper and chicken and boil 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add peas and cilantro. Let stand 2-3 minutes.
4. Serve soup over noodles. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to sign up for free email updates or become a facebook fan in the sidebar! We’d love for you to join us!
This post is part of Real Food Weekly, Foodie Friday, Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, Friday Favorites, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, Fat Camp Friday, Fun with Food Friday, MadeFrom Scratch Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Delectable Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, $5 Dinner Challenge, It’s a Blog Party, Tasty Tuesdays ,Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods, Domestically Divine, Delicious Dishes, What’s on Your Plate, Made it on Monday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Gluten Free Wednesdays