Beans in pancakes? Sounds disgusting, doesn’t it? I have to tell you, these are not disgusting at all. In fact, they are quite delicious! I’m not sure where I got this recipe, but it has become a family favorite.
The kids love this recipe because, well, what kid doesn’t like pancakes? I love the recipe because I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry, and with the exception of the real maple syrup, this is a cheap meal to throw together.
The batter is easy to prepare, and it turns what I would typically view as a treat into a nutritious meal. The oats and beans provide plenty of protein and fiber. We top our pancakes with real maple syrup which is rich in mineral content and low on the glycemic index.
I will warn you that these are not light and fluffy pancakes; they are more dense than your average pancake. Don’t let that scare you off! Give them a try! I’m sure you will like them.
The trickiest part of this recipe is getting the right consistency to the batter. The batter should be thin when you blend it because it will thicken up as it sits. If it’s too thick, you end up with something resembling biscuits. If it’s too thin, they’ll be more like crepes. Play with it and you’ll get it just right.
Protein Packed Pancakes
- 1 cup Navy Beans, drained
- 1 2/3 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Honey (Don’t substitute as this gives the pancakes the golden color.)
- 2 tsp Oil (I use olive)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- Add ingredients to blender in the order listed. Blend until well blended. Set aside to thicken while you heat the skillet to medium.
- Cook on until golden brown, turning as needed.
You may also enjoy:
- Blender Waffles Recipe (Wheat, Egg and Dairy Free, Vegan)
- Allergy-Friendly Spiced Cake Donuts
- Double Chocolate Chip Scones Recipe (Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks Copycat!)
- More Allergy-Free Breakfast
This post is part of What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Works for Me Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Healthy 2day, Inspired by You Wednesdays, Let’s Do Brunch, Women Living Well, Full Plate Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real food, low cost challenge