“This is one of the best meals you have ever made!” proclaimed my husband as the rest of us were guzzling water with tears in our eyes. To be fair, I am a complete wimp when it comes to spicy foods and apparently my kids are too. We were able to finish our plates and I really could taste a complex variety of flavors that I really enjoyed. If you like spicy foods, make this recipe as is. If you are a wimp like me, use a milder sausage and leave out all that pepper.
Red Beans, Rice and Andouille Sausage
- 2 Tbsp Palm Shortening or oil of your choice
- 12-16 oz Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper (see notes!)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Stewed Tomatoes
- Cooked Rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add sausage and onion and cook until sausage is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add bell pepper and cook until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice and mix well. Simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice. Enjoy!