The kids and I met my nephew at the McDonald’s playplace today. As my dairy eating kids devoured their apples and caramel dip, I decided I was going to make a version Bella can enjoy. It turned out awesome! The dairy eating kids said it was as good as McDonald’s. I think the hint of maple syrup makes it even better than McDonald’s. Don’t worry about the coconut milk. You can’t taste it. This caramel is good hot and cold. It is delicious with apples and pears and it would be awesome on dairyfree ice cream.
3/4 cup canned coconut milk
3/4 cup sucanat/rapaduraor brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
2 Tbsp soy free earth balance
1 tsp vanilla
1. Whisk coconut milk, sucanat, and maple syrup in a small saucepan.
2. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
3. Whisk water and arrowroot together in a small bowl.
4. Stir the arrowroot and water into the coconut milk mixture.
5. Cook and wisk another 3 minutes or so until the mixture thickens.
6. Transfer caramel to an airtight jar and store in the refrigerator.
Special thanks to Vegan Chef for this recipe!