How to make oat flour in the blender

Welcome $5 Dinner readers!  I’m so glad you stopped by.  Real Food, Allergy Free features recipes that are free of the “top eight” or eight most common food allergens.  All our recipes are egg, dairy, soy, wheat, peanut, tree nut, fish and shellfish free.  For more allergy-friendly snack ideas like Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins click here.

I love oats!  They are high in fiber and protein.  They are proven to help lower cholesterol and fight heart disease.  They are extremely versatile.  We enjoy them as a traditional porridge, granola, granola bars, pancakes, waffles, cakes, muffins and other baked goods.  I love how baked goods stay moist with oat flour.

Baking with oat flour can be really affordable if you make your own.  All you need is a blender.  Just toss some rolled oats (aka oatmeal)  in the blender and blend until you have flour.  Easy as pie!  It takes about 2 ¾ cups oats to make 2 cups of flour.

Note: Many people who cannot tolerate wheat cannot tolerate oats.  Oats are technically gluten free but some people still react.  The jury is still out on why.  If you have issues with gluten it is recommended that you purchase certified gluten free oats or avoid oats all together.  We are blessed to be able to tolerate most oats.

Photo courtesy of suavehouse113.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

21 Responses to “How to make oat flour in the blender”

1. becky says:

love the site! i dont even know how i came across it, but am sure glad i did. :)

im just curious, what kind of oats do you buy? do you buy mccanns? bobs red mill certified gf? an other? we do mccanns and haven’t noticed any reactions (GF/CF house here). i am very much aware that it isnt certified GF, but we havent had a problem here. thanks!

• Nancy says:

I actually just use quaker. I have also bought it in bulk from a local grain store. My daughter has a very mild delayed allergy to wheat so it is not important to us that it be gluten free.

• Pilar says:

So Quaker is definitely gluten free?

• Nancy says:

Quaker is NOT certified gluten free. We do not have issues with gluten but with wheat itself. I know the difference can be confusing. If you have issues with gluten you sould probably buy certified gluten free oats unless your doctor clears you to try regualr oats.

2. Pavil, the Uber Noob says:

Recommend soaking the oats overnight in a mild acid, warm water solution. The acid can be whey (as in you make it yourself), lemon juice, or vinegar. In the morning, rinse and dry it out in a dehydrator or on low in the oven.
    This removes phytic compounds that inhibit digestion.

Ciao, Pavil

3. [...] cup Gluten-Free Oat Flour (See how to make oat flour in the [...]

4. I am so glad to read how easy it is to make oat flour! I can’t wait to try this! At what point do you recommend testing out whether or not a gluten-intolerant individual can tolerate oats? My daughter is gluten intolerant, and, so far, I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mills GF oats. It would be much cheaper if I didn’t have to worry about making sure they were GF! Thank you!

(Found you today through QECH!!)

5. [...] *Check out this great tip on oat flour! [...]

6. dede says:

I have never thought of using an oat flour. I do use an AP GF flour for all my baking needs, tho. But, this seems like it would be more cost effective and would add some flavor and alternative to my baking.
    Thanks for sharing :)

7. Grace says:

Hi NancyI’d like to ask if it’s necessary to soak the oat flour overnight for better absorption of nutrients?

8. Shelley says:

Coffee grinders do an excellent job of grinding oats as well!

9. Kay says:

I found you today when I was looking for a wheat, egg, dairy free receipe for oatmeal muffins. I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. My husband is allergic to wheat, dairy, egg and corn so right now I substitute the corn items from your recipes but if you ever find any that include no corn please let me know. Thank you again.

10. Linda says:

To all regarding eating oats if you are on a GF diet. Oats tend to be contaminated in the fields since they are typically grown near or with wheat. So you need to eat GF oats to not have a reaction. I am very sensitive and have lived and cooked GF for 9 years now as a gourmet cook and helps clients as a Food Allergen-Toxin Health Coach. So I eat GF oats on occasion. Love my oatmeal cookies! Some clients cannot tolerate even GF Oats due to the similar molecular structure of oats & wheat during digestion. So proceed with caution. Good Luck! Coach Linda