All it takes is a little chill in the air for my kids to request hot chocolate. I can’t say I blame them. Hot Chocolate is such a warm and soothing drink.
Homemade hot cocoa can easily be made with milk or any milk substitute. The only down side of using milk substitutes is most of them result in thin and watery hot cocoa. Canned coconut milk is an ideal substitute because of it’s high fat content, but it definitely adds coconut flavor to the drink.
If you are up for something special, you could top your hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped coconut cream.
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
Makes 4-6 cups
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sucanat
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 4 cups Milk Substitute (We prefer rice milk)
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sucanat and cocoa. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add in the milk and heat to desired temperature, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
You may also enjoy:
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks Copycat!)
- Double Chocolate Chip Scones Recipe (Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)
- Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins (Wheat-free, Egg-free, Vegan)
- Two Ingredient Pumpkin Bread with Apple Cider Glaze