You know how you see a recipe and you know you’re going to love it before you even try it? That’s how it was when I saw this recipe at Mom’s Crazy Cooking. I have a thing for caramelized onion (try this Orange, Honey and Cumin Roasted Chicken with caramelized onions over mashed potatoes), and my husband loves a tender, falling apart roast. So I knew this recipe was going to be a hit.
Caramelized Onion Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
Adapted from Betty Crocker Recipe Magazine, January 2001 and Mom’s Crazy Cooking
- 4 Onions, sliced thin
- Palm Shortening or oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- 1 Tbsp Sucanat or Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 1/2 lb Rump Roast
- In a large skillet, cook onions until translucent and brown. Stir in remaining ingredients except roast and heat through.
- Spoon half of the onion mixture into the crock pot. Place the roast on top of the onions. Spoon the rest of the onion mixture on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until roast is falling apart.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
You may also enjoy: